Grants & Other Funding
The Municipal League provides members with grant-related services and resources and shares grant opportunities.
Grant Writing Support for League Members
Grant-related support, including grant identification, application review, and one-on-one consultations, is available for League members. Please contact Alison Nichols for more information.
Grant Writing Webinars
The Municipal League periodically offers grant-related webinars for members and other partners.
Effective Federal Grant Writing
The Municipal League held a webinar series on how to develop an effective federal grant application. See presentation materials below.
Funding Opportunities & Resources
The Municipal League periodically shares grant and other funding opportunities for municipalities, based on information received from partner organizations. Please refer to the granting organization's website for the most up-to-date information.
- Water Project Fund 2024
- CATALOG OF LOCAL ASSISTANCE
- Investing in America Infrastructure & Energy Funding
The New Mexico Finance Authority has published the 2024 Water Project Fund application cycle. Current estimates by the Water Trust Board for this cycle’s available funding are approximately $135 million, though there will be an updated revenue estimate released in August. This money is used to fund a variety of water projects recommended by the Water Trust Board and authorized by the Legislature. Water Trust Board awards are a combination of grants and loans, based upon the financial capacity of the applicants.
There are five project types eligible for consideration of financial assistance: Water conservation or recycling, treatment, or water reuse projects; Flood prevention projects; Endangered Species Act (ESA) collaborative projects; Water storage, conveyance or delivery projects; and Watershed restoration and management projects.
The full, detailed application timeline and the 2024 Notice of Intent Application is available here.
- August 17: Application Opens
- September 15: Application Closes
- October 3-4: WTB Meeting with Project Presentations
- October 24: WTB Meeting – Approval of projects recommended for Legislative Authorization
- December 11: Readiness Application Opens
- January 16 – February 17: Legislative Session
- January 25, 2024: Readiness Application Closes
- April 23: WTB Meeting – Final funding recommendations to NMFA Board of Directors
- May 23: NMFA Board Meeting: Final Approval of WTB Awards Financial Packages
The Department of Finance and Administration puts together a catalog of federal and state programs to assist local entities in matching needs with available funding.
See catalog here.
Local governments should contact the administering agency for the latest information.
Investing in America Technical Assistance Guide (PDF) is a list of resources to help communities access infrastructure and clean energy funding provided by the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL) and the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA). This guide provides comprehensive information about more than 100 Federal technical assistance programs.
The guide identifies the following information for each of the 100+ Federal technical assistance programs:
- Program Name
- Agency and Department that provides the program
- Bureau within the Agency or Department responsible for the program
- Category of technical assistance
- Planning and Project Development (BIL/IRA)
- Application for Funding (BIL/IRA)
- Financial Planning (BIL/IRA)
- Project Delivery (BIL/IRA)
- Federal Compliance (BIL/IRA)
- Type of technical assistance
- Description of the technical assistance program
- List of different types of eligible program participants (e.g. state, local government, Tribal organization)
- Targeting – in other words, whether the technical assistance is targeted for communities or participants with specific characteristics
- Status of availability
- Point of contact for the program